A community at the center of the nationwide manhunt for Joseph Jakubowski can rest easy now that Jakubowski is behind bars at the Rock County Jail, after making his first court appearance in Madison Friday afternoon.
He is charged with stealing guns and silencers from a federally licensed firearms dealer in Janesville, where the search for the fugitive began.
"I kind of felt a sense of relief with just the community and how we can all have a breath of fresh air," said Brandon Roost.
After 10 days of knowing Jakubowski was on the loose and could be anywhere, families look forward to a good night's rest.
"Sleep better because I don't have a dog and I don't like really like locking my doors, but I did just to be on the safe side," said Beverly Troemner.
"I'll sleep a little bit easier tonight....not knowing where he was at just added stress," said Chris Jagodzinski.
People in the area are ready to put the last week and half behind them.
"Anxiety you can just feel out and about," said Melanie Jackson.
"Quit worrying about things, yah know," said Bob Guild.
The Rock County Sheriff made a point to say thank you.
"I would like to express our sincere appreciation to the local citizens, and businesses, and local volunteer organizations, for their overwhelming support," said Rock County Sheriff Robert Spoden.
A Janesville Culver's lit up their marquee Friday to thank law enforcement and it was a message that echoed all over town.
"Just glad he got caught and glad nobody got hurt," Guild said.
"You just assume every little issue in your life is because of this guy," Roost said.
"A sigh of relief," Jagodzinski said.
Jakubowski is expected to be behind bars in Rock County until April 25th when he's officially arraigned. If convicted he could face 10 years in federal prison and more charges might be on the way.
- GALLERY: What We Know About Joseph Jakubowski
- Joseph Jakubowski Manhunt: The Latest Updates
- Stepfather: Jakubowski 'As Dangerous As They Say He Is'
- "Time For Change": Video Appears To Show Janesville Manhunt Suspect Mailing Manifesto To Trump
- Rock County Community On Edge As Manhunt Continues
- Schools Close Amid Wisconsin Manhunt For Gun Theft Suspect
- Police: Suspicious Incident At Sun Prairie Church Could Be Related To Manhunt For Joseph Jakubowski
- Rock County Sheriff's Office Release New Pictures Of Joseph Jakubowski
- Police Track 200 Leads In Search For Wisconsin Gun Theft Suspect Joseph Jakubowski
- Police: Man Matching Janesville Manhunt Suspect Reported In Darlington Sunday
- Extra Patrols Added To Rock Co. Churches Sunday
Be sure and watch TODAY'S TMJ4 on Roku! We are the only station in Milwaukee to provide the latest news, weather and sports on the device. Search for us on Roku today!