The step-dad of Joseph Jakubowski said he was relieved to hear Friday morning that his step-son had been captured peacefully after a 10-day manhunt.
Don McLean, the step-dad, said he got the call Friday morning he had been begging for.
“His mother and I are just happy,” he said.
"We're glad it's over and we're glad no one got hurt," he also said.
After a week and a half of calling for Jakubowski surrender, he was spotted Thursday night 125 miles Northwest of Janesville in Vernon County. Sheriff’s deputies responded after a farmer found a suspicious man on his property who was in a tent and not willing to leave.
"I had no idea where he was,” McLean said. “It could have been anywhere."
A law enforcement team of more than 70 approached Friday morning and he was taken into custody.
“Found under a tarp with four guns, one long gun,” said Justin Tolomeo, an FBI special agent.
McLean says shock and anger and sadness have consumed their lives since news of Jakubowski’s letter to the president and burglary of a gun store, followed by a nationwide manhunt.
"I haven't been in contact with Joe for a few years, but it didn't sound like the boy we raised," McLean said.
He said they can move forward with peace of mind and hope that his stepson will receive the help that he needs.
“I would rather have him incarcerated than hurt,” he said.
Jakubowski faces several local and federal charges for burglary and carrying firearms.
- GALLERY:What We Know About Joseph Jakubowski
- Joseph Jakubowski Manhunt: The Latest Updates
- Stepfather: Jakubowski 'As Dangerous As They Say He Is'
- "Time For Change": Video Appears To Show Janesville Manhunt Suspect Mailing Manifesto To Trump
- Rock County Community On Edge As Manhunt Continues
- Schools Close Amid Wisconsin Manhunt For Gun Theft Suspect
- Police: Suspicious Incident At Sun Prairie Church Could Be Related To Manhunt For Joseph Jakubowski
- Rock County Sheriff's Office Release New Pictures Of Joseph Jakubowski
- Police Track 200 Leads In Search For Wisconsin Gun Theft Suspect Joseph Jakubowski
- Police: Man Matching Janesville Manhunt Suspect Reported In Darlington Sunday
- Extra Patrols Added To Rock Co. Churches Sunday
Be sure and watch TODAY'S TMJ4 on Roku! We are the only station in Milwaukee to provide the latest news, weather and sports on the device. Search for us on Roku today!