MILWAUKEE — Milwaukee Pride has announced PrideFest 2020 will be postponed until later this year. Though a future date wasn't given, organizers are holding out hope the festival takes place at some point this year.
"That's 45 thousand attendees that are spending time in the city supporting local businesses," said Wes Shaver, president of Milwaukee Pride.
Pride Fest has celebrated Milwaukee's LBGTQ community for more than 30 years. Because of the coronavirus, the festival is now postponed for the first time in history.
Last year the four-day festival set a record for attendance. Similar crowds were expected this year.
Shaver said moving forward in 2020 was simply too risky given the outbreak of COVID-19.
"The decision to postpone to later in the year has so much that comes into play," Shaver said.
The decision to postpone Pridefest calls into question other summer events and festivals in Milwaukee.
"I think summer events are highly questionable," said Alderman Bob Bauman.
Bauman's 4th aldermanic district includes the festival park, as well as the entertainment district.
In March, Bauman sees the threat COVID-19 can pose to summer events that are months away.
"I think the DNC is very much in jeopardy. I think Summerfest is very much in jeopardy. Bastille Days is very much in jeopardy," Bauman said.
A spokesperson with Summerfest didn't comment on the status of "The Big Gig's" 2020 status Wednesday but did refer TMJ4 News to a press release that said they are monitoring COVID-19 and will make the decision when the time comes.
"I think many of these events are in severe jeopardy," Bauman said. "Of course, that would be a tragedy on many levels."
Kristin Settle of Visit Milwaukee said they would remain hopeful many of the summer events go on as scheduled, provided they can do so safely.
"It's clear everyone wants to get out. But everyone is being extra cautious right now, and public safety is our top priority," Settle said.