MILWAUKEE — Here is what a Goodwill Workforce Connection Center manager is hearing from those who are still out of work:
“The big thing you hear is how stressed they are because the bills are coming and they need to pay that off,” said Edilma Rodriguez.
Here’s how they are taking that pressure off families' shoulders by getting them back to work.
We were introduced to a Milwaukee mom who lost her job in the culinary industry, then landed essential work at a local hospital just as the pandemic began. She has Goodwill to thank for it.
Isamar Dumas credits her coach Eldima Rodriguez at Goodwill's Workforce Connection Center in Bay View to not give up after she was laid off from a local restaurant.
Along with helping her craft a new resume, she was given interview advice and landed a job as a transporter at a local hospital where she moves patients from room to room, adding, “I love my patients. I treat my patients like my family members.”
Isamar is still getting regular calls from Goodwill, “She’s checking up on me to see how I’m doing at work. How I’m liking my position, am I feeling comfortable.”
- Resources You Can Use To Get Through The COVID-19 Pandemic
- We're Open: These Restaurants Are Offering Carryout, Delivery
- FULL COVERAGE: Coronavirus News And Resources You Can Use
Rodriguez explains, “It’s not just OK, here is your resume, it's more than that because the idea is not only getting the job but keeping the job building a career so that they’re able to support their families.”
Here is her advice in your Rebound Rundown:
- Update your resume that relates to the job you are applying for.
- Treat remote interviews the same as an in-person interview. This includes wearing professional clothing.
- Here are the three Goodwill Connection Centers in Milwaukee and their phone numbers, you can also click here to connect with them online.
Southeastern Wisconsin Locations:
Goodwill Workforce Connection Center - Bay View
153 West Oklahoma AvenueMilwaukee, WI 53207
Phone: (414) 847-4740
Hours: Monday to Friday 9 a.m to 5 p.m., except major holidays