Resources to help you financially weather through the pandemic

Posted at 2:35 PM, Apr 18, 2020
and last updated 2020-04-18 15:35:25-04

WISCONSIN — As the coronavirus pandemic continues, the country is figuring out ways to recover from it financially.

The Milwaukee Neighborhood News Service, a TMJ4 News Community Partner, has compiled a list of 14 resources residents can use to help get themselves through the pandemic, financially.

The following list of resources compiled by NNS includes several resources for the community:


U.S. Small Business Administration
The U.S. Small Business Administration is offering low-interest disaster loans to help businesses struggling during this time. Businesses can apply for Disaster Loan Assistance.

Hmong Chamber of Commerce
The Hmong Chamber of Commerce is offering an emergency loan fund in response to COVID-19. Small businesses can apply for a loan starting at $5,000 and up to $10,000. Once the application is complete, the business owner can send it and the other requirements to Yuli Her at

Brew City Match
Brew City Match is offering a grant for up to $1,200 to help small businesses cover rent and payroll. Any business within the program area is eligible to apply for either the grant or the loan. The application fee for the is $100. To apply for either, click here.


Community Advocates
Community Advocates is available by phone for Milwaukee residents seeking assistance with energy assistance, FSET and Housing and Disability Services. To receive energy assistance, individuals are asked to call (414) 270-4653 to schedule an appointment. For general assistance call (414) 270-2941.

We Energies
WEC Energy Group, which manages We Energies, recently stated that it will not disconnect service to any residential customers at this time. If someone is struggling to pay his or her bills, he or she is asked to contact WEC Energy Group to arrange a payment plan. To reach customer service, people in residential areas can call 800-242-9137.

Take Root Milwaukee
In response to COVID-19, many banks, credit unions and mortgage holding companies have created customer assistance programs, which allow a borrower to suspend his or her mortgage payment for up to 180 days. Take Root Milwaukee noted that in some cases it is up to the borrower to contact his or her servicer to request a payment plan. The organization has created a list of banks and other servicers’ contact information. Visit the Take Root Milwaukee website or call (414) 921-4149 for assistance.


Arts Wisconsin
Arts Wisconsin has compiled a list of resources for artists. The list includes relief funds as well as opportunities for visual artists to partner with organizations and share their craft.

Imagine MKE
Imagine MKE is raising money for the MKE Artist Relief Fund, which will benefit Milwaukee-based artists. Artists can apply for up to $500. While applications are currently closed, they will reopen once more funds are available.


Hunger Task Force
Hunger Task Force has created an interactive map to help individuals and families find the food sites closest to them.

Feeding America
Feeding America continues to work with food banks across the country. Use the pantry locator to find the pantry closest to you. Some food sites have changed their hours or are offering drive-through only to minimize the spread of COVID-19.

General assistance:

Impact 211 acts as a starting point and connects individuals to services. Individuals can call 211 or text his or her ZIP code to TXT-211 (898-211).

United Way
United Way of Greater Milwaukee and Waukesha County launched a COVID-19 Urgent Needs Fund to helps its partners, which serve those in need. If an individual needs assistance, call 211.

Unemployment benefits:

Families First Coronavirus Response Act
Under the Families First Coronavirus Response Act employers must provide employees with paid sick leave and expanded family and medical leave for reasons related to COVID-19. Not all employers fall under the act. For additional information, call 1-866-487-9243 or go to the U.S. Department of Labor website.

Department of Workforce Development
Individuals who are temporarily out of work can apply for unemployment benefits. The benefits application can be found through the Department of Workforce Development.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip