PEWAUKEE – Waukesha County sheriff's officials say a Pewaukee High school student has been arrested for making a threat on social media -- that closed schools in the Pewaukee School District on Wednesday.
The Waukesha County Sheriff’s Office received a tip call of the threat just before 10 p.m. Tuesday and made contact with Pewaukee Police and the Pewaukee School District. The school district then decided to cancel classes.
Pewaukee Superintendent of Schools Mike Cady sent the following message to staff and parents early Wednesday morning:
Dear PSD Parents
This past evening we received a threat to campus security resulting in our decision to CLOSE CAMPUS TODAY. We are actively working with the Village of Pewaukee Police Department and other law enforcement agencies on this issue and will provide updated information as soon as possible. As always, the safety and security of our students, families, and staff is our top priority.
Pewaukee School District
The suspect was taken into custody early Wednesday morning by the Waukesha County Sheriff’s Deputies.
WISCONSIN WALKOUT STORIES
- 1 Arrested After Police Respond To Person With Gun At Milwaukee High School
- SE Wisconsin Schools Participating In School Walkouts
- PHOTOS: Wisconsin Students Walk Out To Protest Gun Violence
- Pewaukee High School Closed Wednesday Due To Threat
- Mukwonago High School Will Not Participate In Walkout Due To T hreat
- Local Pro-Gun Activist Speaks Out On Student Walkout
- MPS Won't Punish Students Ready For National School Walk Out
Right now, the Sheriff’s Office does not believe there was anyone else involved with this threat and has no reason to believe there is any threat to the public at this time.
Classes at the Pewaukee School District will resume Thursday. The Sheriff’s Office says there will be an enhanced police presence at schools.
Stay with TODAY'S TMJ4 for further updates on this developing story.