NewsLocal News


Classes resume at Waukesha South one day after shooting

Waukesha-South-Abe-Van-Dyke-Photo-FS 3.png
Posted at 11:06 AM, Dec 03, 2019
and last updated 2019-12-03 18:32:29-05

WAUKESHA, Wis. — Classes resumed at Waukesha South High School one day after a shooting inside the school.

Jennifer Meyer dropped off her son at school early Tuesday morning. She said Monday's shooting rattled her to her core.

“The worst thing in the world was I got a text yesterday that said, 'Mom, we're on lockdown. I’m safe. I love you,' then he sent me a picture of where he was at, so I knew if anything were to happen I knew where he was located,” said Meyer.

Monday morning the school was placed on lockdown after authorities were alerted about a student with a gun. Investigators said a Waukesha police officer was forced to shoot the 17-year-old suspect after he pointed the gun at officers. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to recover. Neil Johnson’s son shares a class with the suspect.

“He was saying how concerned he was at one point," said Johnson. "People were kind of afraid of him and wasn’t surprised that happened.”

Johnson said he is thankful for the student who spoke up.

“You think about what could have happened if he hadn’t said something; it could have been much worse,” said Johnson.

Irene Bell said she contemplated leaving her daughter at home, but the teachers she spoke to said it was best if her daughter attended school.

“This way if she does need to talk to people, they are here,” said Bell.

Student Alex Meza Chavez said although he was terrified Monday, together, the school will get through this.

“Obviously the events of yesterday were kind of traumatizing because something worse could have happened, but thanks to our officers and the school resource officer, we are feeling safe, and teachers are very protective of everyone at South," said Meza Chavez. "We will unite and overcome this together.”

Parents were thankful to the police department and school about how they handled the incident.

The 17-year-old suspect’s identity has not been released.