TOWN OF WAUKESHA — A man accused of stabbing four family members last month, killing two, said he did it because "the coronavirus was going to get them, so I had to kill them," court documents reveal.
36-year-old Adam Roth is accused of stabbing his wife, her mother, and her two sisters last month. Roth also allegedly killed a dog in their house.
- Coronavirus in Wisconsin: Live Updates From Across the State
- We're Open: These Restaurants Are Still Offering Carryout And Delivery
- FULL COVERAGE: Coronavirus News And Resources You Can Use
His wife, 34-year-old Dominique Roth, and one of her two sisters, 26-year-old Deidre Popanda, died at the scene. 36-year-old Desirae Popanda and 62-year-old Gilane Popanda had to go to the hospital for their injuries.
According to a criminal complaint, Desirae told authorities that Adam was acting very strange and talking about "weird stuff." He continuously apologized to everyone at the home, saying he feels bad and is sorry for everything he has done wrong to the family. He then left the home without telling anyone where he was going. When Adam returned, he was supposed to lay down, but instead, Desirae heard screaming from upstairs. The complaint says Desirae told officers Adam used a butcher knife to stab everyone in the house.
Further details in the criminal complaint of what Adam Roth is accused of doing are graphic, and TMJ4 News will not be sharing that information.
A 9-year-old boy, however, was able to get out of the house without being physically harmed. He went to a neighbor's house to get help.
While being taken into custody, Roth said, "I did it, I killed them" and also said something of the effect "This is what happens when you take too many illicit drugs."
Regarding the coronavirus, Roth later told officers, "It was coming, and I had to save them." He also said, "I stabbed them, they couldn't get sick, they were all outside, all the stuff is on my phone."
Roth is charged with the following:
- Two counts of first-degree intentional homicide, use of a dangerous weapon
- Two counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide, use of a dangerous weapon
- One count of first-degree recklessly endangering safety, use of a dangerous weapon
- One count of mistreatment of animals, use of a dangerous weapon
Roth is currently being held in the Waukesha County Jail.