FREDERICKSBURG, VA (AP) -- A teenager is recovering after being badly burned by a dangerous plant in Richmond, Virginia.
17-year-old Alex Childress encountered the giant hogweed plant Tuesday while working a summer landscaping job. The invasive plant contains a dangerous sap that can cause burns, blisters and even blindness.
Childress was taken to a nearby hospital, where he was treated and released Thursday for third-degree burns on his face and arms.
Hogweed plants can grow up to 15 feet tall and have been spotted in states across the country -- including Wisconsin.
For more information on Hogweed plant spottings in Wisconsin, visit the Wisconsin DNR's website.