As more coronavirus cases continue to arise through the state, country and world, concerns of the virus and its effects continue to swirl in communities. What are the symptoms of the coronavirus? What do you do if you start to show them?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, coronavirus symptoms vary per person, but could include fever, cough, sore throat and difficulty breathing.
- List: Coronavirus Closings In Milwaukee and Southeast Wisconsin
- Live Updates: Wisconsin's Response To COVID-19
If you suspect you are infected with COVID-19, here is what the CDC recommends to prevent it from spreading in your home and the community:
- According to the CDC, the first thing you should do if you believe you have been exposed to the virus and are showing symptoms is to call your doctor.
- Stay home: Those who are ill with coronavirus are able to isolate at home (unless they have severe complications). Quarantined persons should restrict their activities outside of their home.
- Avoid public areas: Do not go to work, school or public areas if you are sick. This also includes avoiding public transporation.
- Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home. The CDC said you should stay in a different room from everyone else in the home and use a different bathroom, if possible.
- Limit contact with pets and animals while you are sick. Though there are no reported cases of animals becoming sick with COVID-19, the CDC recommends restricting contact until more is know about COVID-19.
- Wear a facemask if you are sick.
- Avoid sharing household items.
If you believe you are sick, contact your medical provider before going in. This will allow the healthcare provider to take steps to prevent other people from getting infected or exposed to the virus. If you experience an emergency and need to call 911, let the dispatcher know that you have or are being evaluated for coronavirus.
Finally, CDC said that those who have coronavirus need to stay home until they are instructed to leave.
The CDC also recommends a variety of ways to prevent the spread of the virus. View those here.