NewsLocal News


New charges filed against Waukesha teen, accused of bringing pellet guns to school

Posted at 4:56 PM, Aug 31, 2020
and last updated 2020-08-31 21:38:14-04

WAUKESHA — An 18-year-old, who was charged after bringing pellet guns to school in Waukesha and then getting shot by police, is facing new charges.

According to online court records Monday, Tyrone Smith, who was 17 years old during the incident, has been charged with an additional three counts of felony bail jumping; battery; disorderly conduct; and resisting or obstructing an officer.

As TMJ4 News reported, Smith was shot in December of 2019 at Waukesha South High School after bringing two pellet guns to school. Police said at the time that while talking to the student in the ambulance, investigators learned he brought the pellet guns to school because he was upset with another student.

Smith was initially charged with the following: Second degree recklessly endangering safety with the use of a dangerous weapon; obstructing an officer; disorderly conduct with use of a dangerous weapon; and dangerous weapons on school premises, according to court records.

According to the initial criminal complaint, Smith got into a fight with another student over a comment about his upcoming birthday. That's when Smith decided to go get his backpack and point the weapon at the student's head.

The teen said he was "tired of being picked on," according to a criminal complaint. Prosecutors allege Smith is angry that his brother was killed.

Authorities cleared the classroom so they could speak with the student. They say that's when he pulled the pellet gun out and pointed it at them.

Sgt. Brady Esser, an eleven-year veteran of the department, shot the student three times, once in the leg and twice in the arm.

Baumann says it was a decision made because of how difficult it is to tell the difference between a pellet gun and the real thing.

The Waukesha County commissioner ordered a $15,000 signature bond that his mother must co-sign. Smith is also ordered to have no contact with anyone at Waukesha South High School. He will have GPS monitoring and will not be allowed to leave unless it's for medical or therapeutic purposes.

A hearing was scheduled for Smith on Sept. 17, 2020 at 11:30 am. in Waukesha County Court.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip