NewsLocal News

Actions

Man sentenced to 60 years in violent Kenosha home invasion

Posted: 11:59 AM, Sep 19, 2018
Updated: 2018-09-19 19:07:16-04

KENOSHA -- A 52-year-old man who broke into an elderly couple's home and violently attacked them has been sentenced to 60 years of initial confinement and 30 years of extended supervision.

Daniel Evans was sentenced Wednesday. According to the sheriff, deputies arrested Evans after a high-speed chase last year. A 6-month-old baby was in the car with him at the time of the chase, as well as three other people. All of them were uninjured.

The intruder left an elderly couple of 83 and 84 years old seriously hurt. Sheriff David Beth said their head injuries were so bad they had to be taken to the hospital by Flight for Life. Beth said one of the victims was woken up to the sound of breaking glass around 2:30 a.m. The homeowner went to check what was going on and found an intruder inside. 

"I cannot put into words how sorry I am for the [victims]," Evans said in court Wednesday. "I cannot tell you the dreams I've had just thinking about what they went through."

Evans also stole the couple's cell phones. Deputies were able to track those phones and found them ditched in Kenosha. Additionally, surveillance video in the area showed the suspect tossing out the phones.

“It took us about a week but we were able to catch the suspect that we feel very confident is the person that broke into the home,” said Sheriff Beth.

Deputies say the suspect was released from prison earlier last year.

Beth is upset someone would do this to an elderly couple. The sheriff said this man should never be out of prison again. 

“He’s got a track record of not being an asset to society,” Beth said. 

"He is uncontrollable, he cannot be rehabilitated," added Kenosha County DA Mike Gravely.