MILWAUKEE — Charges were dropped against the Milwaukee man who had been living in an underground bunker with a stash of weapons, a generator and power tools.
Geoffrey Graff, 43, was facing felonies 2nd-degree recklessly endangering safety and possession of a short-barreled shotgun/rifle. But a Milwaukee County Judge on Wednesday dismissed the case without prejudice as prosecutors said they were not ready to proceed with a trial. Prosecutors can refile charges at a later point, however.
Graff was arrested in November of 2019 after police discovered the bunker he was living in while investigating a report of a gunshot fired into the Milwaukee River, just below the bunker near Estabrook Park.
Graff told authorities he had been using the bunker for at least seven years.
In the encampment, deputies found four guns - a rifle, pistol, shotgun, and sawed-off shotgun - along with three knives, and a bow with arrows made out of snow plow stakes.
The underground bunker was eight feet deep, eight feet wide, and 20 feet long. It had propane tanks, a generator, tools, supplies and canned food.
Graff's jury trial was initially scheduled for last summer, but had to be postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.