NewsLocal News


3 Milwaukee police officers suspended after man dies in custody: Chief

Posted at 2:56 PM, Feb 25, 2022
and last updated 2022-02-25 23:25:37-05

MILWAUKEE — Three Milwaukee Police Department officers have been suspended after 20-year-old Keishon Thomas died in police custody on Wednesday, police say.

Police Chief Jeffery Norman answered questions about the death on Friday. The chief did not name the officers, but said they are now on paid suspension until further notice.

The officers were involved in some capacity in putting Thomas into custody in MPD's District 5.

Chief Norman also said they are changing procedures by asking suspects if they have taken any pills or drugs. The police department has not specified yet how Thomas died.

Sixteen hours – that is the amount of time that passed between Thomas being arrested, and him being pronounced dead while in custody at District 5.

According to investigators, Keishon was pulled over by police near 22nd and Capitol for a traffic violation around 1:55 a.m. Wednesday. There was a warrant for him tied to other traffic violations, so he was arrested and taken to District 5.

Police Chief Jeffrey Norman said Wednesday night that drugs were also recovered.

“District 5 bookers conducted multiple cell checks, but at 5:53 p.m. they found an individual unresponsive, and started administering medical life-saving measures until paramedics arrived,” said Chief Norman. “Efforts to save the individual were unsuccessful.”

At 6:19 p.m. Keishon was pronounced dead inside a holding cell. The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner responded to Police District 5 a little before 6:30 p.m.

According to the Milwaukee Police Department’s Standard Operating Procedure, bookers shall conduct a visual cell block check at staggered and random intervals, a minimum of four times an hour. Shift commanders shall physically enter the cell block and conduct a visual check of each cell at least once per shift. During cell block checks, the booker shall ensure that the prisoner is present in the cell and has no apparent physical problems.

Keishon’s girlfriend, and the mother of his five-month-old baby girl, spoke to him right before he was taken into custody.

“He told me he was being pulled over for not using his blinker,” said Myangel Thomas.

She says she spent hours Wednesday trying to get information on Keishon, and didn’t find out he was dead until 9 p.m.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip