MADISON — The University of Wisconsin System has extended COVID-19 surge testing sites into Spring, as the majority of Wisconsin residents are expected to remain unvaccinated well into the season.
Most of the 22 testing sites across UW campuses were scheduled to close, after meeting a threshold of 220,000 tests. But the System has worked out an arrangement with the state Department of Health Services to obtain 140,000 Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 tests, to be administered to people at a number of the surge testing sites.
The UW System set up the testing sites last fall, with testing beginning in early November. The effort identified an estimated 18,000 potential COVID-19 spreaders, according to the UW System.
The following surge testing sites will resume testing in the coming days:
• UW-Eau Claire: Zorn Arena o 121 Garfield Ave., Eau Claire, WI 54701, Tuesday, Feb. 2
• UW-Eau Claire -- Barron County: Gymnasium o 1800 College Dr., Rice Lake, WI 54868, Tuesday, Feb. 2
• UW-Green Bay: Weidner Center for the Performing Arts o 2450 Weidner Center Dr., Green Bay, WI 54311, Wednesday, Jan. 27
• UW-La Crosse: Cartwright Center o 1741 State St., 3rd Floor, La Crosse, WI 54601, Monday, Feb. 1
• UW Oshkosh: Culver Family Welcome Center o 625 Pearl Ave., Oshkosh, WI 54901, Monday, Jan. 25
• UW-Parkside: Tallent Hall o 900 Wood Rd., Kenosha, WI 53144, Wednesday, Jan. 27
• UW-River Falls: Hoffman Park Storm Shelter o 547 Hanson Dr., River Falls, WI 54022, Tuesday, Feb. 2
• UW-Stevens Point: Dreyfus University Center o 1015 Reserve St., Stevens Point, WI 54481, Wednesday, Feb. 3
• UW-Stevens Point Marshfield o 2000 W 5th St., Marshfield, WI 54449, Tuesday, Feb. 2
• UW-Stevens Point Wausau o 608 S 7th Ave, Wausau, WI 54401, Monday, Feb. 1
• UW-Stout: Sports & Fitness Center o 220 13th Ave. E, Menomonie, WI 54751, Monday, Feb. 1
• UW-Whitewater: Community Engagement Center o 1260 W Main St., Whitewater, WI 53190, Monday, Feb. 1