MILWAUKEE — Milwaukee Public Schools has released its proposed plan for what school could look like when it returns in the fall.
- The Rebound Milwaukee: Resources For Getting Back To Normal
- We're Open: These Restaurants Are Still Offering Carryout And Delivery
This is how MPS recommends classes start in the Fall:
- Phase 1 - Virtual to Start
- Classes will be entirely virtual at the beginning of the academic year. No students will be allowed in any school building.
- This will happen for at least the first 30 to 45 days.
- Phase 2 - Hybrid Learning
- Students will be re-introduced to the classroom as it becomes safe to do so. Students will have two days of in-person education and three days of online classes.
- Students will rotate in-person and virtual learning.
- Phase 3 - Face-to-Face Learning
- Once appropriate, all students will return to school. For those who still aren't comfortable with in-person classes, an online option will be available.
The movement from one phase to the next is dependent upon the spread of COVID-19 and health and safety guidance from local and national officials.
"...certainly the health and safety of our students and staff is central. A the same time, we are responsible for the education of our students and no one contests that face to face isn’t better than remote learning," school board member, Bob Peterson, said.
When classes do return, all students will be required to wear a protective face covering except for when eating or drinking. This includes outside school areas and buses.
Students and staff will also be provided with PPE. If a student refuses to wear a face covering, they will be removed from the group environment.
While such widespread online learning was new and sometimes difficult for many students, teachers, and parents, Peterson said that virtual classes will be much smoother than when schools closed.
"I think that the virtual learning will be far superior to what was occurring right at the initial stages in march," Peterson said.
The school board will vote on this proposed plan on Thursday.
The public can give live testimony during Thursday’s meeting. Community members that wish to speak must register in advance to receive a participation code to enter the meeting. The deadline to register is 3:00 P.M. on July 16, 2020.
To register to participate by dial-in, call 414-475-8200 and follow the instructions. To register to participate via email, visit the Boardcast page of the MPS website to send an email request.
Written comments may be submitted to the Office of Board Governance by mail, to 5225 W. Vliet Street, Milwaukee, 53221; by email, to email@example.com; or by fax, to 414-475-8071. Written comments received before 3:00 P.M. on July 16, 2020, will be forwarded to the Committee for its consideration.
You can see the full report here: