The Racine Common Council voted Tuesday night to extend the Emergency Declaration in the city until July 31st. The 13-2 vote came after a 3 hour common council meeting where the declaration was the dominating subject.
The extension of the declaration will allow the city to seek out funding says Mayor Cory Mason. “The city can apply for state and federal funding for emergency grant applications and other sources of funding and other resources” said Mason. It is not however an extension of the city’s “Safer at Home” order which runs through May 26th.
- Coronavirus in Wisconsin: Live Updates From Across the State
- The Rebound Milwaukee: Resources For Getting Back To Normal
- We're Open: These Restaurants Are Still Offering Carryout And Delivery
The city’s health department is working on new guidelines and expects to release them later this week before “Safer at Home” expires. Mayor Mason says “you'll see the public health administrator come forward with a series of recommendations about how we believe we will need to responsibly move the Racine community forward in the midst of the coronavirus crisis.”
Racine has recently become a hotspot for Coronavirus cases. The city reports 716 positive cases out of the 2,500 tests administered so far. The county has more than 1,000 cases total.