It took 20 years of waiting, an incredible match that went to overtime and the stress of a shootout, but finally, Team USA has conquered their Canadian Olympic nemesis in an Olympic gold medal match.
The Americans, using the game-clinching shootout goal from Jocelyne Lamoureaux-Davidson (click link to watch), defeated Canada 3-2. Five players with Wisconsin ties are among those taking Olympic gold home.
Maddie Rooney made the save of a lifetime to stop Canada's last attempt by Megan Agosta.
Amanda Kessel of Madison scored one of the shootout goals. Hilary Knight, who went to UW-Madison, scored the first goal for Team USA (click link to watch). Canada has five players as well who went to UW-Madison.
Team USA's golden "cheeseheads" include:
- Meghan Duggan (Captain, former UW Badger)
- Brianna Decker (from Dousman, former UW Badger)
- Amanda Kessel (from Madison)
- Hilary Knight (former UW Badger)
- Alex Rigsby (from Delafield, former UW Badger)
Team Canada silver-winning "cheeseheads" are:
- Emily Clark (UW Badger)
- Ann-Renee Desbiens (former UW Badger)
- Meaghan Mikkelson (former UW Badger)
- Sarah Nurse (former UW Badger)
- Blayre Turnbull (former UW Badger)
This is Team USA's first gold medal since 1998. Canada had won every gold since then.