Since we can’t go out with co-workers for happy hour or celebrate with friends on the weekends, it’s the perfect time to learn how to recreate some of your favorite drinks at home. Kristina Vanni joins us with techniques and recipes to turn virtual parties into a hit!
To try out some of Kristina’s ideas for yourself, check out the recipes below:
Finnish Gin Fizz
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 can Finnish Long Drink
- Grapefruit slices and fresh rosemary, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, heat rosemary sprigs, water and granulated sugar over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil and stir until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, cover and steep for 30 minutes. Remove rosemary sprigs and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Can be made ahead of time.
- To make the Finnish Gin Fizz cocktail, combine the grapefruit juice, lime juice and 1 tablespoon of the rosemary simple syrup in a shaker filled with ice. Strain into a glass, filled with ice. Top with the Finnish Long Drink and give one final stir to combine. Garnish with a grapefruit slice and rosemary sprig.
Crostini with Tomato, Basil and Goat Cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Baguette, cut into 16 slices
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 ounces goat cheese
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, basil, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Arrange the bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Rub the garlic halves over one side of the bread and brush lightly with the remaining olive oil. Bake until golden brown and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Spread each toast with goat cheese and top with a spoonful of the tomato mixture.
White Wine Mojito
- 1 750 mL bottle of white wine (chilled)
- 2 cups sparkling lemonade (chilled)
- 3 limes (2 juiced, one for garnish)
- 1 cup of fresh mint
- Mix the wine and sparkling lemonade in a large pitcher. Juice two limes and add to the wine and lemonade. Mince 3/4 cups of fresh mint and add to the pitcher. Mix well.
- Thinly slice the remaining lime to garnish glass rims and add a sprig of mint leaves just before serving. Serve over ice.
Harvey Wallbanger Cake
- 1 box (15.25 ounces) orange or yellow cake mix
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup Galliano liqueur
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon Galliano
- 1 teaspoon vodka
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a Bundt pan; set aside.
- In large bowl of electric mixer, combine cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, oil, orange juice, Galliano, vodka, and orange extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then at medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake for 33 to 36 minutes or until a tester inserted comes out clean. Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool 15 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, prepare glaze by combining all glaze ingredients until well blended. Drizzle over cake while still slightly warm. Let cake cool completely. For best flavor prepare a day or two ahead, covered, to blend flavors.
Sparkling French Martini
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1/2 ounce Chambord
- 1/2 ounce pineapple juice
- 1 ounce sparkling wine
- Garnish: Fresh raspberries
- Measure the vodka, Chambord and pineapple juice into a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake. Strain it into a martini glass and top with the sparkling wine. Garnish with fresh raspberries.