Lots of studies show - and every teacher knows - that children can slip a grade (and sometimes more) in their reading if they don’t read regularly over the summer. But what’s a parent to do when swimming and biking and baseball and friends beckon? Our book reviewer Carole Barrowman has 5 tips and 5 cool book series choices for young readers. All are HYBRID books which is the big trend in reading literacy right now. Hybrid books blend chapters books with graphic novels or comics and young readers love them!
For more information on Carole, visit BarrowmanBooks.com and see below for her picks:
1. "Monsters in the Dark" ("Billy and The Mini Monsters") Series by Zanna Davidson is a series of adventures with the mini monsters from Billy’s closet.
2. "Axel and Beast" Series by Adrian C Bott is packed with action and robot battles.
3. "Ivy and Bean" by Annie Barrows is about two second grade girls who are besties and who love challenges with a little bit of mischief.
4. "Rosie Revere and The Raucus Riveters" ("The Questioners Series") by Andrea Beat is based around Rosie who’s a young engineer. She and her Questioners team invent cool STEM related stuff.
5. "Whale vs Giant Squid" ("Who Would Win?" Series) by Jerry Pallota is a non-fiction series that sets up battles between real creatures… well, who would win this one?