RACINE — One victim is being treated for second-degree burns in a Milwaukee burn unit following a Racine house fire early Sunday morning.
The Racine Fire Department responded to 111 Ohio Street around 1:05 a.m. for the report of a possible house fire.
Upon arrival, the department found heavy fire in the basement and was made aware of three people inside.
All three victims were removed from the second floor of the home. However, one of the victims was found unresponsive inside.
According to the Racine Fire Department, the victim was transported to Ascension All Saints Racine with second-degree burns and smoke inhalation.
The fire department said that the victim is now being transferred to Ascension Columbia St Mary’s Burn Unit in Milwaukee.
The Racine Fire Department said the fire was started by the "careless use of smoking materials."