NewsLocal News


Six children, three others hospitalized after Carbon Monoxide leak

Posted at 5:43 PM, Feb 27, 2018
and last updated 2018-02-27 18:43:45-05

Nine people, including six children, were taken to the hospital after Milwaukee Fire Officials say a Carbon Monoxide leak sickened them Tuesday morning.

It happened at a home in the 4400 block of N. 37th Street shortly before 9 a.m. Milwaukee Police Lt. Joseph McLin said a 9-1-1 call brought firefighters tot he scene.

“MFD went inside and noticed that their Carbon Monoxide levels were very high and the result of a broken water heater,” McLin said.

The father of the six children ranging in age from 3-years-old to teenagers took them to the hospital before paramedics arrived. McLin said conditions in the home were unsanitary.

“It’s a lot of dog feces in the house, a lot of little things that appear to be broken in the house,” said McLin. 

The uncle of the children Blake Bonds said everyone is recovering at the hospital from the exposure to the Carbon Monoxide. Bonds’ said he is thankful the situation wasn’t worse.

“I just thank God they are all living here… they’re still with us” said Bonds.

The Milwaukee Department of Neighborhood services posted a notice on the door that the home was not safe to live in until the water heater was replaced, the unsanitary conditions were cleaned up, and smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are installed.