NewsLocal News


Racine woman heats rubbing alcohol, causes house fire

snow covered fire hydrant
Posted at 10:45 AM, Feb 14, 2021
and last updated 2021-02-14 12:02:21-05

RACINE, Wis. — The Racine Fire Department responded to a report of a house fire Sunday morning around 6:30 a.m. on the 300 block of Luedtke Ave.

Fire officials said upon arrival they observed the house occupants attempting to extinguish articles from inside the home that were on fire.

Upon investigation, officials found that the fire inside the home was extinguished and noticed a bottle of rubbing alcohol on the kitchen stove.

An occupant of the house said she was heating the alcohol to melt ice on her car. She said after noticing the fire, she attempted to take the pan outside but tripped and spilled the burning contents on an area rug.

There was one occupant injury in the fire and they were taken to a local hospital for medical treatment. The status of the patient transported is unknown at this time.

There is an estimated $10,000 worth of damages for this incident.

The Racine Fire Department would like to emphasize that attempting to heat rubbing alcohol is very dangerous as the substance is highly flammable and that it will not help to thaw out a frozen vehicle.

Fire officials say that things would have been worse if the fire had been larger because the closest fire hydrant was inaccessible due to snow and a car parked in front of it.

As a reminder, please remove snow from fire hydrants and park cars at least 10 feet away from them.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip