One arrested after shots fired in Racine

Incident lasted around 2 hours
Posted at 11:02 PM, Jul 28, 2016
and last updated 2016-07-29 11:55:25-04

UPDATE 7/29 10:25 a.m. -- The Racine Police Department says one person was arrested after a "civil dispute" led to shots being fired.

Officers were called to the Haban Manufacturing Building in the 1500 block of Summit Ave. just before 6:00 p.m. for a shots fired call, where they discovered the dispute. There were no injuries, and nobody was struck.

Several people were taken to the Racine Police Department to be interviewed, but police say only one was arrested. No names are being released at this time.


For about two hours a Racine neighborhood was on alert. Police surrounded a north side business with their guns drawn while neighbors sat in their homes waiting to hear if it was safe.

"I heard gun shots," says Omar Patino, a nearby neighbor. 

"They told us to go inside so we went inside," says Stephanie Furrenes, on what the police told her. 

Monique Booker was heading home when she saw the police converge on her neighborhood.

"I saw a lot of cops flying everywhere," says Booker. 

A neighbor shared a video of the situation with TODAY'S TMJ4. It shows police officers surrounding a business with their weapons drawn. One neighbor says the whole thing started in an auto repair company.  

"There was some type of altercation I guess with the owner," says Re, who did not want to give her last name. 

Another business owner who did not want to go on camera says he heard the whole thing. He says it was an argument over stolen property. He says police caught the people who drew the guns at the end of the alley. The police then had everyone else inside the building come out backwards with their hands in the air.

"We were hearing yelling like, 'Put your hands up, come back,'" says Stephanie Furrenes. 

The whole situation left neighbors shaken, especially Booker, who had been trying to drive home to her young son. 

"It was just awful," says Booker as she hugged her son to her. 

It's not know if any arrests were made. Racine Police have not yet given an official statements. Check back for updates on this developing story.