TOWN OF DOVER — While the human residents of a Racine County home that erupted into flames Tuesday morning made it out alive, tragically their seven cats and a guinea pig did not.
Racine County Sheriff's Office says crews responded to a house that caught fire in the 600 block of North Britton Road in the Town of Dover just before 6 :30 a.m. The homeowner had told dispatchers that their dining room was on fire, and that they believed a space heater had caused it.
Authorities later learned that a father and son who were home, as well as their three dogs, were able to make it out of the burning house unharmed. But officials say their seven cats and guinea pig were not able to be saved.
The home and its attached garage were a complete loss, the sheriff's office says. One vehicle was also destroyed in the flames.
The fire remains under investigation. No estimate of the damage has been released.