NewsLocal News


Questions remain after a "random" stabbing left one dead in broad daylight

Posted at 10:22 PM, Aug 27, 2019
and last updated 2019-08-28 06:42:41-04

GREENFIELD, Wis — Greenfield police are investigating after a worker was stabbed to death in a neighborhood near 60th and Armour. Police said a person of interest was taken into custody at his home Tuesday afternoon near 61st and Cold Spring.

A random attack in broad daylight leaves a man who was working on a median dead around noon Tuesday.

The search for the attacker involved several agencies. Police put a neighborhood on lock-down while they looked for a man on the run who they believed to be armed and dangerous.

It was a few frightening hours for Gracie Santos and her family who live in the area.

“I’m nervous as could be. I’m very uneasy right now,” she said. “It’s kind of nuts.”

Armed officers and police K-9s filled neighborhoods, formed a large perimeter, and eventually found a person of interest a half mile north at an apartment complex near 61st and Cold Spring across the street from a witness who doesn’t want to be identified.

“We’re such a small pocket here. Nothing like this has ever happened around here and it’s, it is a little unnerving,” he said.

The witness watched as the young man was handcuffed and taken into custody.

“He rides his bike around here, walking around. He hung out with some people, but that’s about all I know about him. He seemed like a normal kid to be honest with you,” the witness said.

The Greenfield Police Chief and his detectives are now trying to piece together a motive, but there are a lot of unknowns.

“This incident is tragic, it’s random at this point. We can’t figure out anything… no fight, no conflict, this is just a random act,” said Chief Jay Johnson.

Witnesses said another woman was taken into custody at the same apartment complex as the person of interest. Police made no mention of her role in the fatal stabbing.

TODAY’S TMJ4 reached out to a company believed to have employed the victim, however officials declined to comment or confirm any details.