NewsLocal News


One person arrested after night of unrest, Wauwatosa police says

Posted at 3:31 PM, Oct 08, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-08 16:31:55-04

After a night of unrest following the announcement in the fatal Alvin Cole shooting, police say only one person was arrested in Wauwatosa.

Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm announced on Wednesday afternoon that there would be no charges against Wauwatosa Police Officer Joseph Mensah. Mensah shot and killed 17-year-old Alvin Cole in the parking lot of Mayfair Mall back in February.

According to the Wauwatosa police, more than 150 people came into the city at N. 60th Street and W. North Avenue. The group of protesters marched near Wauwatosa City Hall and clashed with law enforcement posted outside. Police say people threw projectiles at law enforcement. Police began deploying tear gas after declaring the assembly unlawful.

Homes near the area of W. North Avenue and N. 92nd had several broken windows of homes and businesses, officials say. Members of the crowd began throwing projectiles again at officers, to which the department said officers deployed paint balls and pepper balls into the crowd as self-defense, Wauwatosa police reported.

Following that, the police department said the group moved away from the area and some began looting a Speedway Gas Station at N. 92 St. and W. Burleigh, which is in the City of Milwaukee. The Boost Mobile on N. 76 St. and W. Burleigh was also looted. The group moved in and out of both Milwaukee and Wauwatosa neighborhoods. Milwaukee police are investigating both looting incidents.

The one person who was arrested in connection to the unrest was arrested for failure to follow police directions to disperse, Wauwatosa police said.

Police also reported several vehicles were driving recklessly on N. Mayfair Road near Mayfair Mall. Stop sticks were deployed.

No injuries were reported for law enforcement or protesters.

Milwaukee police have not reported if there were any arrests made from Wednesday's unrest.

Wauwatosa police reminded the public that the curfew would continue through Oct. 12, between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip