GRAFTON — A home in Grafton is considered a "total loss" after a fire in Grafton.
Firefighters responded to 585 High Bluff Drive shortly before 5:00 p.m. Wednesday. Grafton Fire Chief William Rice said a fireplace in a bedroom started something on fire.
Firefighters say they believe the family tried to take the items outside and got them to a window, but strong winds contributed to causing a "substantial fire."
Four to five people, including the homeowners, were on scene when firefighters arrived. No people were hurt, including the firefighters who worked to put it out, but there were cats in the home. We don't know if they made it out safely.
Chief Rice said the family has a lot of friends and family to help them out, but they're upset.
"They've had to stand there and literally watch their house burn," said Rice. "As a fire chief, you don't see that happen too often."
The fire itself is considered accidental.