MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee police officer killed in a shooting Wednesday evening has been identified by MPD as Officer Michael Michalski.
Police Chief Alfonso Morales says Michalski, a 17-year veteran officer, was shot and killed while on duty, and a suspect is in custody. He leaves behind a wife, Susan, and three sons.
- GALLERY: Every MPD Officer Killed In The Line Of Duty
- Suspect In Custody In Shooting Of MPD Officer
- Departments Mourn With MPD After Officer Killed
- Chief Morales On Fallen Officer: 'He Was a Friend Of Mine'
- VIDEO: Procession Carries Body Of Fallen MPD Officer
Morales says the shooting occurred early Wednesday evening, adding that the suspect was wanted on gun and drug violations.
The suspect has been identified as 30-year-old Jonathan Copeland Jr.. Morales says the fallen officer was a friend of his.
Deputy Fire Chief David Votsis said earlier Wednesday that one other person was wounded in the shooting, but Morales later clarified that the suspect was not wounded.
It's the second Milwaukee police officer to die in the line of duty in nearly two months. Officer Charles "Chuckie" Irvine Jr. was killed after the squad car he was in crashed while in pursuit of a reckless driver.