MILWAUKEE — Milwaukee Area Technical College is offering free tax return help at its downtown and Oak Creek campuses.
Those with a family income of $56,000 or less can get assistance from MATC accounting students.
The downtown campus will be open 5:30-9:30 p.m. on Thursdays from Feb. 6 through April 12 (closed on March 19). Oak Creek will offer help from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Saturdays from Feb. 8 through March 28. Registration for both campuses begins one hour before the start times.
Attendees should bring the following items to ensure a speedy process:
- A copy of the prior year’s federal and state returns is necessary. Preparers will not have access to prior tax returns done at MATC VITA sites.
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents; an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted if you do not have a Social Security number.
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (1099 Forms)
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers (such as a blank check) for direct deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statement, if applicable
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
- Copy of 2019 property tax bill or rent certificate signed by your landlord
Taxpayers filing a joint return must both be present when the returns are prepared because both spouses must sign a joint tax return.
A free self-service tax filing website for those with a family income of $69,000 or less is available here.