NewsLocal News


"He was doing his job and lost his life." Family looks for answers after electrocution death

Posted at 7:30 PM, Oct 29, 2019
and last updated 2019-10-29 20:30:19-04

GREENFIELD — One week ago a man was killed by while working in Greenfield. His co-worker was seriously hurt.

36-year-old Miguel Aburto died last Tuesday by 84th and Layton in Greenfield as he was working on a utility line for a cable provider, a part-time job.

Miguel’s cousin, Luis Calix Aburto, is having a hard time accepting that Miguel is gone.

“The family, for us it’s not going to be the same,” he said. “He was working. He was doing his job and lost his life.”

Police said Miguel was electrocuted in the bucket of a truck and that his co-worker tried to save him.

“For the family, he’s like a hero for us,” Luis said of the co-worker, who remains at the hospital recovering from burns to his hands. “He put his life in danger for him.”

Cousin, Elias Hernandez is trying to cope as is the rest of the family.

“It’s something that we wish we could wake up and have that be just a nightmare, but it’s a reality we have to face,” Elias said.

He’s remembering Miguel for his talent as an artist.

Miguel loved to draw from the time he was young and opened up his own Milwaukee shop called Brew City Airbrush off Lincoln Avenue, which gave him a chance to share his skills with the public even at events like Summerfest.

“It almost looked like he was tracing it on a piece of paper, but he was doing it all by hand or with a machine,” Elias said.

Luis Calix Jr. said his great cousin, Miguel airbrushed on anything from clothing to shoes, hats and sweaters.

Miguel left behind many gifts that will keep his memory alive, but right now his family is puzzled and can’t help but question his death.

“We don’t want anymore families to go through what we’re going through right now,” Luis Sr. added.

The family is still trying to figure out what to do with the shop.

The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration is leading the investigation into the incident. It could take the agency up to six months to complete.

Miguel’s funeral was held on Monday.

A GoFundMe Page has been set up in Miguel’s name.