NewsLocal News

Actions

Grain dryer catches fire in Racine

Posted: 8:27 AM, Nov 14, 2018
Updated: 2018-11-14 14:30:03Z

RACINE -- South Shore Fire Department responded to a grain dryer fire early Wednesday morning. 

Officials sent first responders to the scene near Highway KR and 100th Street.  Just before 4 a.m. when a dryer became engulfed in flames. At least ten different agencies were called to the scene including Racine Fire Department and Pleasant Prairie Fire Department. 

TODAY'S TMJ-4's Shaun Gallagher described the scene as smelling like burnt popcorn. 

The fire department said that when the wet corn started to burn, it started to clump together and acted like charcoal. 

Responders cut  triangular holes in the container to empty the corn. No one hurt and cleared the scene after about 3 hours.