Authorities urge child safety around blinds after infant death

Posted: 5:54 PM, Apr 26, 2018
Updated: 2018-04-26 22:54:01Z

The recent death of a Sheboygan County one-year-old strangled by window blind cords is an unfortunate reminder about the hazards window blind and shade cords pose to young children.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission nearly one child a month dies from cord entanglement. 

The Window Covering Safety Council quoted the commission saying, "corded window coverings one of the top five hidden hazards in American homes." Which is why father Andy High removed the blinds from all of his front windows. 

High is a father of four young children all under the age of seven. He heard about the Sheboygan child and it strengthened his resolve to make sure his kids understand that the blinds are not a toy. 

The safety commission says children as old as nine have been endangered by the cords and Safe Kids Southeastern Wisconsin Coordinator Lisa Klindt Simpson isn't surprised. 

"This is one of those hidden dangers that you may not think to look at," said Klindt Simpson.

She says investing in cordless blinds or window covers that have wrapped up cords is best for small children and pets. As well as, keeping chairs or cribs away from windows to reduce the risk of children reaching the cords.