MILWAUKEE — A fire engulfed a home early Friday morning on 33rd St and W Mount Vernon Ave. Fire crews were called out to the fire just before 3:00 a.m.
The fire started in a vacant home then spread to a neighboring duplex. Multiple homes were evacuated in the neighborhood.
Roommates Ryan Crumble and Mykel Moore lived inside the duplex next to the home that was up in flames. Mykel said a glimmer of light woke him up early this morning.
“It was way more of a bigger fire than I expected, so the first thing I tried to do was get everyone out,” said Mykel.
“As soon as we opened that back door, there were flames that came toward us, we thought we were trapped,” said Ryan.
Their main focus was to get everyone out of the house safely, including the family with children, that lived downstairs.
“We all didn’t panic, we stayed calm and got out in one group,” said Mykel.
Mykel said he is thankful he woke up with enough time to get everyone out of their home. Their Christmas gifts and decorations are now completely destroyed but the men said they will not let this fire dampen their spirits.
“One more minute we would have not made it all out of there. All I can do is just laugh and smile and keep moving forward and not let this stop me from moving forward,” said Ryan.
“All the other stuff material stuff we will probably get it back, eventually but we get to see our kids and trying to enjoy Christmas probably better with our family after this,” said Mykel.
The men are still looking for their kitten named Midnight.