MPS continues to encourage athletes after moving fall sports to spring

Posted at 3:17 PM, Oct 03, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-03 16:18:00-04

MILWAUKEE — Since Milwaukee Public Schools moved all fall sports, to the spring, MPS officials want to encourage, their athletes.

"We wanted to just do something to keep the kids engaged. Keep them mindful of the things they can do, because we can focus on what we can't do. But we also want to make sure that they understand there's a lot of things they can do at this time," MPS Commissioner of Athletics Bobbie Kelsey says.

TMJ4 Main Sports Anchor Lance Allan asks Matt, "what does the hashtag Stay Ready MPS campaign mean to you?"

"Well you know, we really thought it was our responsibility to keep the kids engaged. Keep them motivated. And offer them the resources that they need, to help navigate this tough time," MPS Manager for Athletics and Academics Matt Goodwin says. "Whether that be the mental health aspect. That and nutrition, or ways to stay physically fit."

"Stay motivated!" Lance Kendricks says.

"Keep hittin' the books," Milwaukee Hamilton Athletic Director Kay Nichols says.

"Stay positive. And more importantly, stay ready," Jordan Poole says.

MPS to the pros, like former NFL player Lance Kendricks and current NBA player Jordan Poole, pitching in.

"That's one of the cool things about this campaign. Being able to tap into our alumni. Community members, administrators, and everyone's been willing, more than willing to help out," Goodwin says.

Then the question becomes, how will Milwaukee Public Schools handle the winter season, which includes basketball? At this point, there is hope.

"So we're hoping the basketball will go," Kelsey says. "But we know these cases are fluctuating. And we've had a spike in Wisconsin as we've had in other states, so it's totally up to the health department."

At last report, Milwaukee Public Schools are among the 32 percent of high schools that kicked fall sports, to the spring. Trying to stay positive while watching the other 68 percent, is key.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip