In the category of “Festival of the Year,” Summerfest competed against some of America’s largest festivals including:
• BottleRock Napa Valley – Napa Valley, CA
• Country Thunder USA – Twin Lakes, WI
• The Governors Ball Music Festival - New York, NY
• The Hangout Music Festival - Gulf Shores, AL
• Newport Folk Festival – Newport, RI
• Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival – San Francisco, CA
• Stagecoach – Indio, CA.
Last year, Coachella in Indio, CA won Festival of the Year.
"Recognition as IEBA’s 2017 Festival of the Year is even more meaningful considering Summerfest celebrated its 50th edition this summer,” said Don Smiley, President and CEO of Milwaukee World Festival, Inc. in a news release.
“Our model of offering a diverse line-up of world-class entertainment on permanent festival grounds at an accessible price for 11 days makes Summerfest truly unique. It’s an honor to be named Festival of the Year and a testament to our fans for their loyalty and support over the years,” he added.
Summerfest said its recognition at IEBA is due to the efforts of the dedicated Summerfest staff, particularly the entertainment department led by Bob Babisch, Vice President of Entertainment. In 2016, Babsich,was named IEBA’s 2016 Festival Buyer of the Year.
Summerfest celebrated it’s 50th festival season this year.