NewsNational

Actions

Dog dies after being electrocuted while walking on sidewalk

Posted: 10:19 AM, Sep 27, 2018
Updated: 2018-09-27 15:24:21Z

(WFLA/NBC News) A Florida couple's beloved pet is dead after stepping on an electrified pull box lid on the sidewalk near their home.

Lynn McDermott was walking his dog, Charlie, shortly after a rain shower when Great Pyrenees collapsed.

"I put my hand down to try and grab his tail, and my hand touched the top of the grate and it jolted me and at that moment I knew he was being electrocuted," McDermott recalls.

Lynn carefully moved Charlie.

"He was foaming, started to foam at the mouth and at that time I knew it was pretty much too late," he says.

Lynn called 911 and despite efforts to do CPR, Charlie died.

The box contained wires for a nearby light pole and the city of Sarasota says a burned wire had made contact with the metal lid. 

To read more, click here.