MILWAUKEE -- The Milwaukee Business Journal recently released a list of the lowest-paying jobs in Milwaukee , based on data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The bureau surveyed the average salary in the Milwaukee-Waukesha-West Allis areas in May of 2017.
The average salary of the entire area came to be $50,070 -- just short of the national average of $50,620.
Many of the low-paying jobs are tied to food service and food preparation -- which account for about 70,000 people in the surveyed region. The average salary for this group as a whole is $22,140.
The lowest-paying job, however, is in the hospitality industry. Baggage porters top the list with an average salary of $18,630.
Take a look at the 10 lowest-paying jobs and their average salaries below:
10 Lowest-Paying Jobs in Milwaukee
1. Baggage Porters: $18,630
2. Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers: $18,770
3. Dishwashers: $19,110
4. Food Preparation and Serving Workers: $19,250
5. Locker Room, Coatroom and Dressing Room Attendants: $19,480
6. Hosts and Hostesses: $19,520
7. Ushers, Lobby Attendants and Ticket Takers: $20,260
8. Lifeguards, Ski Patrol and Other Recreational Protective Service Workers: $20,630
9. Waiters and Waitresses: $20,670
10. Cashiers: $21,170
Click here to see the complete list of 25.
The list of highest-paying jobs was released by the Milwaukee Business Journal in October 2017. There's a $264,750 difference between the average highest-paying job and lowest-paying job salaries.
10 Highest-Paying Jobs in Milwaukee
1. Obstentricians and Gynecologists: $283,380
2. Surgeons: $275,830
3. Anesthesiologists: $270,930
4. Pediatricians: $258,750
5. Podiatrists: $252,000
6. Physicians and Surgeons, All Other: $241,590
7. Family and General Practioners: $241,530
8. Internists, General: $238,660
9. Dentists: $227,040
10. Psychiatrists: $217,480