NewsLocal News

Actions

Sun starts fire in Greendale basement

sun-fire.jpg
Posted at 2:22 PM, Mar 08, 2020

The Greendale Fire Department responded to a call of a basement fire Saturday only to find out the culprit was...the sun.

The department says they were called to the residence for smoke in the basement, but when they arrived they found only a light haze and no active fire.

That's when a member of the engine crew noticed ash by a basement window and a charred brown paper bag. That's right, the sun had started the paper bag on fire with the use of the "glass block magnification," according to Greendale fire.

Let this be a reminder to be cautious of the materials you place next to windows in your homes.

Report a typo or error