A student tased a teacher trying to break up a fight at a West Allis High School Wednesday.
Police said a 14-year-old student was arrested for battery and possession of a dangerous weapon at school. A verbal fight between classmates at Nathan Hale High School took a turn when a student pulled out a taser.
"I am surprised that they got ahold of a taser, but nowadays it's easy for kids to sneak stuff in schools," said Courtney Niemczyk, a former student.
Police and the school district said a teacher came in contact with the taser while trying to break up a fight.
— Coreen Zell (@CoreenZell) December 14, 2017
"I had just walked right past who did it like 10 seconds right before and they had run into me and as I was walking on my way to class I saw my teacher start bolting past me...I heard somebody whispered taser in the hall at first I didn't believe it," said Katie Milosevich, a student.
Students said the classmate with the taser was being bullied and brought the weapon for protection.
"It's upsetting that they would tase the teacher, but overall it's kind of heartwarming that a teacher would step in for the bullying situation," said Courtney Niemczyk, a former student.
West Allis-West Milwaukee School District released the following statement to parents:
"Today at school, a verbal altercation took place between two students. When it escalated, teachers intervened and one of the students involved brandished a hand-held tazor.
The student in possession of the tazor was taken into custody by the West Allis Police. In addition, we have taken school action and we are responding to any injuries including that of a teacher whose arm inadvertently came in contact with the tazor during the student confrontation.
We are thankful to our teaching staff and the West Allis Police for their swift response to this incident. Please know that the safety of our students and staff is of the utmost importance to us and we will pursue all legal and school consequences related to our West Allis-West Milwaukee School District Code of Conduct."
"I think they should be more careful with these kids now and check them thoroughly when they come in," said Nancy Zmudzinski, a grandparent.