Oconomowoc High School to remain closed over weekend

Experts continue to test for toxins in the air.
Posted at 5:27 PM, Mar 23, 2018
and last updated 2018-03-23 18:27:15-04

Oconomowoc High School and the Oconomowoc Arts Center (OAC) on campus will remain closed for weekend events and practices as experts continue to test for toxins in the air. 

Thursday morning, nearly 200 people, students and some staff, were evaluated at area hospitals after feeling sick. Some tested positive for high levels of carbon monoxide. The building was closed Friday as experts came in to test the air quality.

The Oconomowoc Area School District said the Environmental Management Consulting company set up air testing equipment inside the building to try and locate the source of the leak. The district gave an update on the testing so far saying: 

“We were informed that equipment inside the Oconomowoc Arts Center (OAC) showed slightly raised levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO). While these levels are below the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) standard of safety, we believe it is necessary to determine the source of these readings before allowing anyone into the building.”

The Western Lakes Fire Department said Friday afternoon, the source of the leak is still a mystery. 

The district said testing will continue throughout the weekend. 

“We’re going to make sure that the building is the safest it can possibly be,” said Deputy Chief Glenn Liedel. 

“Decisions are going to be based on the most conservative, safest way for it to be, you know if it were your child, my child, my wife being a teacher, my husband being a custodian, you want it to be right for everybody here.” 

The school district has been updating students, staff and parents on its website as well as on Facebook and Twitter.