Neighbors helped save a Kenosha family from a house fire early Saturday morning. The family of four were all inside sleeping.
Kathy Kennedy says it was an unreal experience.
“Normally I'm asleep, I have no clue why I was still awake, obviously there was a reason and this was the reason,” she said. “I can’t believe I ran in there but I would do it again in a heartbeat.”
Within minutes of seeing her neighbors home on fire on 29th Ave., Kennedy and her boyfriend, Troy Pecha emphatically ran towards the house to get their neighbors out.
“Screaming from the top of my lungs, I was banging on the door, I saw the kids,” Kennedy said. "The flames were higher than the house, the flames were really high.”
The Kenosha Fire Department says the fire started around 12:30 early Saturday morning, the cause, an unattended fire pit on the families deck that spread to the house.
“The fire chief said that if we’d been a little bit later, they wouldn’t be here,” she said.
Kennedy really believes it was divine intervention, she and her boyfriend even had to kick out the basement windows to save the mother of the children who was sleeping in the basement.
“I don’t know where it came from, it’s adrenaline,” Kennedy said, as she was showing minor cuts on the bottom of her foot.
They were at the right place, at the right time and it made a difference.
“I’m so thankful, I’m so thankful, so glad that they’re all ok,” she said.
“The daughter of the family who lives in the burned home says the home is a total loss and that they’re looking to rebuild.
If you would like to help, a GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family recover.