With the weather reaching dangerously low temperatures, Milwaukee County is providing resources to make sure people who need a warm and safe place to sleep.
County officials say the first point of contact for those in need of emergency shelter is to call 211.
The following shelters are utilizing the coordinated entry system, meaning that all referrals must come via 211:
- Cathedral Center
- Guest House of Milwaukee
- Hope House of Milwaukee; Salvation Army Emergency Lodge
- Milwaukee Women’s Center (family placements only)
The following warming centers and shelters are also available:
- Single adults and families needing a place to stay tonight can directly go to Greater New Birth Church, 8237 W. Silver Spring Drive, Milwaukee. They must show up between 8:00pm-midnight and are allowed to stay until 6:00am.
- Repairer’s Of the Breach (1335 N. Vilet St., 934-9305) The warming room will be open from 8:00 pm until 4:00 pm if the outside temperature or wind chill is below 10 degrees.
- Tippecanoe Church (125 W Saveland Av). Tippecanoe Church is currently in overflow status so please call 211 before referring single men and women to this location.
- Milwaukee Rescue Mission (1820 W. Wells St., 344-2211) The Milwaukee Rescue Mission is currently in overflow status so please call the location directly before referring single men to this location.
- Sojourner Truth House (933-2722). The Sojourner Truth House does have domestic shelter violence beds available. Please call this location directly.
- Milwaukee Women's Center, (414-671-6140 - DV, Non-DV call 211
- Joy House (830 N. 19th St., 344-2211) Women and children - Please call this location directly.
- Walker’s Point Youth and Family Shelter (2030 W. National Av., 672-5300). Ages 11-21,This location is dedicated to juveniles in need of shelter.Please call 211 or the shelter directly before referring juveniles to this location.
- Pathfinders Emergency Youth Shelter (1614 W. Kane Place, 271-1560). Ages 11-17, This location is dedicated to juveniles in need of shelter. Please call 211 or the shelter directly before referring juveniles to this location.
- Cathedral Center (845 N. Van Buren St). The Cathedral Center is currently at capacity so you must call 211 for a referral.
- Hope House (229 W. Orchard St). The Hope House is currently at capacity so you must call 211 for a referral.
- Salvation Army Homeless Program (1730 N. 7th St). The Salvation Army Homeless Program is currently at capacity, so you must call 211 for a referral.
- Salvation Army Daytime Warming Rooms: 8853 S Howell 8am-5pm, M-F, phone 762-3993; 4129 W Villard, M-F 9am-4pm.
- Milwaukee County Housing Division Programs (including Safehaven, Permanent Supportive Housing, Housing First), 278-4902 or 278-2894.
If all of the shelters/warming houses are full, individuals are urged to call the following organizations for emergency assistance:
- County Emergency Management System at (414) 278-4788
- City of Milwaukee’s Health Department at (414) 286-6457
- American Red Cross at (414) 630-4850
The Milwaukee County Department on Aging (289-6874) can also connect seniors with home-delivered meals and referrals to seniors centers and community centers.
Individuals who have a secure place to stay and need help with their heating bills can apply to Wisconsin’s Home Energy Assistance Program (WHEAP) for assistance for heating costs, electric costs, and energy crisis situations.
Visit http://county.milwaukee.gov/Energy-Assistance or call 270-4653 for an appointment.