News

Actions

Mayor takes action following investigation into construction complaints

Posted: 10:29 PM, Jun 10, 2016
Updated: 2016-06-11 10:37:30-04

Back in May, the I-TEAM revealed how dozens of homeowners in Cudahy were billed thousands of dollars for a major public street and sewer project while two city “VIP’s” owning properties on the same street weren’t asked to pay a penny.

Two of the property owners exempt from having to pay include the current city inspector and former city attorney.

Mayor John Hohenfeldt promised to investigate the matter and so far, he is keeping his promise.

This week, Cudahy City Council unanimously agreed to discuss billing five property owners who are currently exempt from having to pay for construct costs along Packard Avenue.

The City’s code allowed officials to bill 59 property owners on Packard between Lunham and Cudahy between $8,000 and $13,000 for repair work, which includes sewer improvements and a new road.

The I-TEAM found the city “extended” the project an extra block to Plankinton Avenue. It’s a block that includes the city inspector’s house and the former city attorney’s private law firm.

Residents questioned why the city did this at the last minute and failed to bill those property owners.

Mayor Hohenfeldt said the billing error was an honest mistake, but told TODAY'S TMJ4 back in May that he was not sure whether the City would be able to go back and bill the property owners.

After seeking legal advice, Hohenfeldt learned the city can bill those property owners, but it will have to be approved by council.

Now that council has agreed to re-open the case, the next step is to set a public hearing.

“After the public hearing, that resolution will be on the council agenda that same night for the council’s consideration,” Hohenfeldt said.

A public hearing is set for June 28 at 7 p.m.

You can view our original news story by clicking here .