NewsLocal News

Actions

Man suffers facial burns after smoking in bed while on oxygen

Web-Default-Image_1280x720-WTMJ.png
Posted at 7:19 AM, Oct 29, 2020
and last updated 2020-10-29 08:19:38-04

RACINE — The Racine fire and police departments responded to a man with self-inflicted burns to the face on the 500 block of 8th St. in Racine on Oct. 29 around 2:09 a.m.

Fire officials say upon arrival they witnessed a man with facial burns after he had been smoking in bed while on oxygen.

Medical personnel attended to the man and officers inspected the house for any other fire damage. None was found.

Prior to the arrival of officials, the man used a fire extinguisher to put out the fire.

He was transported to a local hospital for treatment.

Officials say this is the second smoking while on oxygen incident that's been reported this week.

The Racine Fire Department stresses the dangers posed when smoking near oxygen supply.

If you have any questions about smoking and oxygen dangers call the Racine Fire Department Division of Fire Prevention at 262-635-7915.

Report a typo or error // Submit a news tip