Man severely burned after grease fire in Waukesha home

Posted at 5:16 PM, Nov 21, 2016
and last updated 2016-11-21 19:14:19-05

WAUKESHA -- A Waukesha man has a strong warning if you plan to cook on Thanksgiving. 

A grease fire nearly took the life of the father of three on Tuesday when the lid on the chicken he was deep frying, suddenly burst open with flames. 

"I remember it hit the ceiling, and then I think at that point that's when my face ignited," Chad Goratowski said.

Quick thinking by the man's 11-year-old daughter, Ellie, helped save him.

"I accidentally pressed 991 four times, but then I finally called 911 and they answered, and the lady on the phone said I was actually calm for an 11-year-old," Ellie Goratowski said.

Chad suffered second and third-degree burns to his face, hand, arms and legs.

The family warns everyone this Thanksgiving to not cook anything they are not experienced for, to never cook alone and to keep a fire extinguisher in your home.