Man dies after choking at Greek Fest in Racine

Posted at 6:58 AM, Jun 27, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-27 07:59:05-04

RACINE, Wis. (AP) -- Authorities say a man has died after choking while eating at a weekend festival in Racine.

The Racine County medical examiner says the 73-year-old Caledonia man choked on a piece of meat at Greek Fest Saturday night. The Journal Times says first responders were called to Kimissis Tis Theotokou Church and found Wayne Staufenbeil was unconscious.

EMTs were able to remove the blockage from the man's throat at the scene. But Medical Examiner Michael Payne says Staufenbeil died about an hour after arriving at Wheaton Franciscan-All Saints Hospital.