WAUWATOSA — A Wauwatosa man was charged with one count of child neglect resulting in bodily harm after his 7-month-old overdosed on opiates. The baby arrived at Children's Hospital with "pinpoint pupils," according to the complaint.
Demarcus Phillips, 29, was about to feed his baby when he noticed the child had a pill dissolving in his mouth. The defendant called 911 and responding Milwaukee Fire personnel believed the child was under the influence of opiates.
Phillips told the baby's mother that pill had likely dropped into the couch by a friend over the weekend, according to the complaint.
After agreeing to having his home searched, officers observed the residence smelled strongly of marijuana, "roaches" of old marijuana cigarettes on the ground and 14 pills of 5 mg Oxycodone Hydrochloride scattered on the kitchen counter.
The baby was examined at Children's Hospital and Poison Control was contacted.
Phillips was convicted in 2015 of obtaining a controlled substance by fraud.