WISCONSIN — As it gets warmer outside, more people are getting on their bikes. This comes as Wisconsin Bike Week, a statewide celebration of all things biking, is underway.
The goal of the week-long initiative is to encourage more people to use bikes as a way to get around.
If you plan to ride your bike outside, AAA has 10 tips so you're safe outside.
1) Tell an adult if anything is broken or wrong with your bike
2) Wear a bicycle helmet.
3) Wear brighly colored clothing so that others can see you better.
4) Reminder: one seat = only one rider!
5) Keep both hands on the handlebars.
6) Obey traffic signs and lights.
7) Use hand signals when stopping or turning.
8) Always ride in the same direction as traffic and use the right-hand side of the road.
9) Look both ways before crossing the street and stay alert for cars backing out of driveways.
10) When riding with others, ride in a single-file line.
Wisconsin Bike Week runs through June 8th. For more information on Wisconsin Bike Week and a list of events, click here.