NewsLocal News

Actions

Is 'Christmas Tree Syndrome' a real thing?

Web-Default-Image_1280x720-WTMJ.png
Posted at 9:50 AM, Nov 28, 2018
and last updated 2018-11-28 12:56:57-05

MUKWONAGO -- The smell of pine can get us right into the holiday spirit, but you may not realize what a live tree could be carrying into your home. This includes mold. Some have dubbed it 'Christmas tree syndrome.'

The Environmental Protection Agency found the average person spends 90-percent of the day inside. Pollution can be up to five times higher than the outdoors.

Mukwonago allergist Gary Steven says the scent of pine is not what triggers an allergic reaction, "Being allergic to the Christmas tree means you are allergic to mold."

Weed pollen could also be stuck to your tree. Getting rid of it is simple, "You could try hosing it off and get as much as you can," said Dr. Steven with Allergy, Asthma& Sinus Center.

Researchers at State University of New York found 70-percent of mold types found on live Christmas trees could trigger severe asthma attacks, fatigue and sinus congestion.

Also make sure to dust off all of your ornaments before you decorate them on your tree.